Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney in Annapolis and Ellicott City
Aggressive representation in Howard County, Anne Arundel County, and throughout the state
Let me take a wild guess. Something in your life has gone terribly wrong. Maybe you’ve been charged with a criminal offense or you’re dealing with the consequences of someone else’s negligence. Whatever the circumstance, my name is Gill Andrew Cochran and I help people through their biggest legal challenges. I get it. There’s a lot on the line, from the loss of necessary driving privileges to the loss of freedom. When faced with these harsh possibilities, people need a criminal defense attorney who will guide them through the process, while fighting for the best possible outcome. The practice of criminal law is not for the faint of heart. At Drew Cochran, Attorney at Law, my clients receive tough and aggressive representation from a knowledgeable Annapolis criminal defense lawyer.
From misdemeanors to severe felonies,
I rigorously pursue the best possible outcome
I’ve spent years defending individuals under the Maryland and federal criminal codes. Armed with that legal knowledge — and the experience of handling hundreds of criminal cases — I assertively defend the rights of my clients, fighting against the pending charges and working to minimize the potential consequences of conviction. Some of the criminal law cases I routinely handle include:
- Domestic violence, domestic assault, and other issues related to family conflict and domestic relations law
- Sex crimes, including sexual assault, accusations of stalking and charges involving internet crimes
- Assault and violent crimes
- Murder, manslaughter, and vehicular homicide
- Theft, burglary, and robbery
- DUI charges, including aggravated DUI and repeat offenses
- Boating while impaired or under the influence
- Traffic violations, such as speeding tickets and citations for reckless driving, driving on suspended license, revoked license or driving without a license
- Drug charges, including simple possession, distribution, and manufacturing
Being charged with a crime is extremely stressful. For many defendants, their family, livelihood, and freedom are at stake. From record expungement to criminal forfeiture, I personally handle every part of your case, so you don’t have to worry about being shuffled from defense lawyer to defense lawyer.
Strong advocacy for Annapolis drivers facing DUI/DWI charges
If you’ve been arrested for a DUI or a DWI, you have many concerns. A conviction can mean imprisonment, fines, loss of privileges, and increased insurance premiums. You may be required to install an ignition interlock device (IID) that tests your blood alcohol content before your start your car and while you drive.
I’ve been fighting for teenagers, young adults, and people of all ages who have been charged with a DUI or a DWI for more than 20 years. I help DUI/DWI clients in many ways including:
- Informing you about the different types of charges. Generally, a DUI requires a BAC of .08 or more while a DWI applies if your BAC is .07 or more. Both DUI and DWI charges can be filed if your driving is impaired by drugs.
- Explaining the consequences for a conviction based on the specific charge, your prior record, your age, the results of your BAC, whether a minor was in the vehicle, whether anyone was injured, whether anyone was killed, and other factors.
- Filing a motion to suppress any chemical tests that were illegally conducted and any statements you made that were illegally obtained.
- Challenging the basis for the arrest including the ways and field sobriety tests were given; the validity of any breath, blood, or urine tests; and all other defenses. The police must have probable cause to stop you. I regularly challenge the reliability of field sobriety tests which are often inaccurate. There are many different ways to contest the validity of any chemical tests.
- Helping you keep your driving privileges. For example, Maryland’s Alcohol Education Program (AEP) helps defendants regain their driving privileges. There are different programs for people with alcohol or drug substance abuse problems and the person who made a one-time mistake.
The sooner you contact us, the better. I’ll answer all your questions about the charges, your defenses, the use of an IID, and all other questions. I’ll guide you through each step of the criminal process. I’ve helped many Annapolis drivers obtain dismissals, acquittals, and plea reductions of DUI and DWI charges.
Helping those accused of domestic violence in Annapolis protect their rights
A domestic violence charge has numerous consequences. You could be imprisoned. You could be forced to leave your home. You could lose your job even if you aren’t convicted. These cases require experienced defense lawyers because often the very fabric of your family is at stake along with your reputation in the community. I have been helping defend people in Annapolis who have been charged with domestic abuse for more than 20 years. I understand what strong defenses are required and when there are ways to resolve domestic conflicts in a less confrontational way that helps preserve health family relationships.
I handle the full range of domestic violence charges including assault, spousal abuse, assault of a female, child abuse, threats, harassment, criminal trespass, and other charges. My firm represents spouses (current and exes), relatives, and cohabitants when there are domestic incidents that involve assault, sexual assault, bodily harm, rape, sexual offenses, stalking, revenge porn, and false imprisonment.
I understand why domestic charges are filed, what evidence is required (fairly minimal evidence in many cases), and what types of orders can be imposed. Common domestic violence orders generally include temporary and/or final protective orders – orders the require that you stay away from the complainant at home, work, and school. These orders can affect many issues, including home ownership, vehicle ownership, temporary child custody and visitation, financial support issues, and domestic abuse and substance abuse counseling.
Call me as soon as you receive any domestic complaints, charges, or temporary orders. I can help you through this difficult time.
Juvenile crimes and criminal charges against college students in Maryland
Look – every kid makes mistakes. The problem is that some types of mistakes come back to haunt you for your entire life. It’s one of the reasons I choose to work with juvenile defendants: doing one stupid thing shouldn’t affect your entire adult life. Whether you’re a high school kid who got caught with a small amount of marijuana, or a college student who got a little loud at a party – or you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, I know that you shouldn’t have to suffer for a lifetime because of one bad decision. I work with Annapolis naval academy midshipmen too, to help them protect their futures in or out of the service.
And I also know that feeling of dread that comes from a phone call in the middle of the night. If you’re the parent of a child or young adult who has been arrested, it can get a little overwhelming. It’s okay: we’ll all sit down together and talk about what happened, and look at the best options for your kids moving forward. You won’t get any pressure from me – just honest, down-to-earth advice about which way to proceed. And if you need to scream or “freak out” or cry, well, that’s what I’m here for: to help you take a deep breath and face the world again.
Annapolis criminal defense attorney aggressively protecting your rights
While I pride myself on being aggressive and strong in defense of my clients, I’m equally committed to applying thoughtfulness and strategy to every case. That means that I’m not charging into the courtroom if that’s not the best course of action. Instead, I take the time to listen to the entire story, carefully analyze all the details, and develop a focused plan to fight for your best interests. Once I create a strategy, I use it in all stages of the case, including preparation, negotiation, hearings, and arraignments.
At the end of the day, if you get charged with a crime in Ellicott City or Annapolis, a criminal defense lawyer is just about the first person you should call. I have the record, the resources and the experience needed to help you. And if you need to call me because you have a question, or because you’re scared, or because you’re just having a hard time, know this – I answer my phone when my clients call. You can send me a text or email me a list of questions, or call me when you need me. I’m going to be there for you.
Call me in Annapolis or Ellicott City when you’re facing criminal charges
With more than 20 years of experience as a criminal defense attorney in Annapolis, I provide my clients with representation they can rely on. I strive to make my services accessible by offering initial consultations for potential clients to decide if I’m the right fit for their case. When you need an experienced Annapolis criminal defense lawyer, contact my firm– Drew Cochran, Attorney at Law – or call me at 410-271-1892, and schedule a consultation at the Annapolis or Ellicott City office.
Just remember these simple words: Keep Calm – and Call Drew.