How can a Maryland attorney help me with traffic violations?
To ensure the protection of your rights, it is important to speak with a seasoned lawyer before making any statements to law enforcement. Failure to bring your traffic violation to the attention of an attorney in a timely fashion can result in serious damage to the potential success of your case.
The defenses to a traffic violation vary depending on the offense. However, some of the possible defenses I may assert on your behalf include:
- Machine inaccuracies. It’s possible to challenge the validity of any machines, such as radar devices and lasers, that were used as the basis for the ticket. These devices typically need to be calibrated on a regular basis.
- Cross-examination. I’ll question what the police saw, what the officer didn’t see, and the credibility of the officer who ticketed you.
- The violation was legally justified. For example, you were speeding because a bee flew into your car or you had a medical or health emergency.
- The violation was factually excusable. For example, the traffic signals were obstructed by trees and bushes.
- The violation was necessary to avoid harm. For example, I may argue you needed to speed to avoid being struck in the rear by another driver.
An experienced Annapolis criminal defense attorney will speak with law enforcement on your behalf to gather information and determine the potential consequences you are facing. There’s often a delicate balance between trying to negotiate a dismissal or a reduction of the charges and cross-examining a police officer about what happened. This balance requires the skills of an experienced Annapolis traffic violations lawyer.