Ellicott City Sexual Assault Defense Attorneys
We work to defend you against sexual assault and rape charges
Sexual assault and rape are violent crimes, and often involve one person’s word against another. And these types of crimes, including anything involving non-consensual, unwanted or forced sexual contact, carry charges that can result in significant consequences for the accused. You need a skilled and effective criminal defense lawyer to protect your freedom and your future.
At Drew Cochran, Attorney at Law, we offer experienced and empathetic representation if you’ve been accused of sexual assault or rape. Our criminal defense attorneys never judge you – instead, they design compelling legal strategies and work for your best interests. We do not back down. Contact us at our Ellicott City offices right away to find out how we can help you.
Penalties for sexual assault in Maryland
Sex offenses can cover a wide range of elements and degrees within Maryland criminal statutes. They hold a similar wide range of consequences and penalties. Even the act of being accused of sexual assault can ruin your reputation forever. If you are found guilty, we work to get the penalties lessened.
Following are examples of sexual assault crimes and their penalties:
- First-degree rape – includes nonconsensual sexual intercourse with an individual through force, bodily injury, or kidnapping. Convictions can result in life imprisonment.
- Second-degree rape – includes vaginal intercourse without consent through force, when the individual is incapacitated, or with a victim who is under 14 years old (if the defendant is at least 4 years older). A conviction is up to 20 years in jail.
- First-degree sexual assault – includes engaging in a sexual act without consent through the use or threat of force. Convictions can result in a life sentence.
- Second-degree sexual assault – includes engaging in a sexual act with an individual who is incapacitated or under the age of 14 years old (if the defendant is at least 4 years older). A conviction may lead to a 20-year sentence.
- Third-degree sexual assault – includes nonconsensual sexual contact with an individual by force, or with an incapacitated person. This also includes various age-related offenses. Penalties can include 10 years in prison.
- Fourth-degree sexual assault – includes sexual contact without consent, and various age-related offenses. First-time convictions can result in a year in jail. Subsequent offenses may result in up to three years.
These are not the only penalties for a conviction. Charges and a conviction can affect you in many other ways as well. Our attorneys have a variety of strategies to help prevent these outcomes.
Consequences for a sexual assault conviction in Ellicott City
The costs of a conviction for a sexual offense are more than financial. Other issues that can negatively impact and complicate your life include:
- Damage to your public reputation
- Difficulty securing housing or employment
- Disqualification for federal financial aid
- Loss of professional licenses
- Loss of right to own a firearm
- Loss of security clearance
- Mandatory minimum jail time
- Monetary fines
- Registering as a sex offender
Registering as a sex offender in Maryland
As part of sentencing for a sexual assault or sex crime conviction, a judge can order a person to sign up on the Maryland Sex Offender Registry. Once you are on the sex offender registry in your home state, you’re on it in every state. We understand the stigma of this situation, especially after you’ve served your time.
Not only can this affect your long-term career opportunities, reputation and housing opportunities, the sex offender registry is public data. That means anyone can access the names of individuals within the registry. We want you to know it is complicated to get your name removed from the registry – but it is not impossible. Talk to us to learn more.
Our Ellicott City sexual assault defense lawyers will protect your rights
We understand the severity of sexual assault charges and the stigma that comes along with them. At Drew Cochran, Attorney at Law, we work for you to ensure the best possible outcome for your case. With the potential penalties in these types of cases, you need strong, tenacious Ellicott City defense attorneys on your side. We’re here for you. Call our office today at 410-271-1892 or fill our contact form to schedule a consultation.
And remember: Keep Calm – and Call Drew.